Federal legalization of cannabis appears to be entering a crossroads just as cultural acceptance is spreading like wildfire. While alcohol and cannabis may be at odds when it comes to sales, plenty of innovators have discovered ways for the two to peacefully coexist. And the CBD cocktail is quickly emerging as the perfect blend of both worlds.
CBD oil or tincture added to a cocktail turns an everyday drink into relief from stress, pain and anxiety without the psychoactive effects. The buzz pretty much comes from the alcohol, and that combined with CBD’s ability to mitigate anxiety you’re bound to feel uplifted and chill while you get your sip on. CBD tinctures and oils are available on the market in a variety of strains and formulas, serving cannassuers plenty of inspiration if they’re looking to experiment with terpenes, the compounds behind the flavors and smells of each cannabis strain. There’s so much to play with!
CBD cocktails are easy to make at home since all you need is to add a dose of CBD oil or tincture to your favorite drink recipe. To get you started, check out two mouthwatering recipes we’ve recently come across:
CB-Tea from The Manual
– 2 oz Stillhouse Peach Tea Whiskey
– 10-15 drops of high-grade CBD oil
– Fresh mint
– Fresh lemonade to top
How to make it:
– In a Collins or other 12 oz glass, combine mint with Stillhouse Peach Tea and muddle.
– Add the CBD oil (a substance legal throughout the country), fresh ice, and top off with lemonade.
– Garnish with a fresh mint sprig.
And just in time for the Kentucky Derby…
CBD Julep from Maxwell Reis for GOOP
– 2 1/2 ounces bourbon
– 1/2 ounce simple syrup
– 6 cannabis leaves and 2 mint leaves or 8 mint leaves + extra for garnish
– 15 mg CBD tincture
How to make it:
– Muddle the leaves and simple syrup in a chilled julep cup.
– Add the bourbon and top with pebble ice. (Editor: Don’t forget to add your cbd tincture!)
– Swizzle, then top with more pebble ice.
– Garnish with 3 cannabis leaves or 3 mint sprigs.
Your local cannabis dispensary or retailer likely has a few options to choose from when it comes to CBD. I am a big fan of tinctures, especially those by the brand Ritual. Their Daytime tincture has a CBD-to-THC ratio of 20:1, so while there is a little bit of THC it doesn’t exactly produce feelings of euphoria for me. Instead I feel uplifted, focused and pain-free, and its refreshing taste would work great for light cocktails like these. A friend tipped me on to that tincture, so check with friends in addition to your local budtender if you’re looking for other CBD oil and tincture recommendations.