Veterinarians see spike in pets with marijuana poisoning
When Carol came home from work on a rainy night last year, she found her beloved dog lying on the kitchen floor, unconscious and barely breathing. She rushed him to an emergency vet hospital, trying not to think the worst.
Emergency workers quickly assessed the dog and began asking questions. Had he ever suffered seizures? Had he been ill? Could he have gotten into any poisons or anything else he shouldn’t have? With that question, her heart sank.
Carol, who asked that her last name be withheld because she doesn’t want her employer to know, had recently purchased some recreational marijuana. She suddenly recalled seeing the empty Altoids tin that she kept the pot in lying near her dog.
Carol told the emergency workers and they sprung into action, trying to counter the effects of the cannabis. It was a long night, but eventually the dog came out of his coma, and after a couple of days in the hospital, he was back on his feet.
Carol’s frightening story reflects an unforeseen consequence of marijuana legalization — the accidental poisoning of pets who consume their owners’ pot.Cannabist Show: He’s a Humboldt legacy; She promos pot products for pets If your dog is unconscious, having seizures or difficulty breathing, seek emergency care immediately. If you get to your pet within 20 to 30 minutes after ingestion, induce vomiting with 3 percent hydrogen peroxide. Administer 1 teaspoon for every 5 pounds of body weight, with a maximum dose of 3 tablespoons. Repeat the dose in 10 to 15 minutes, if necessary. If the dog is unresponsive, do not try to induce vomiting, but get the dog to an emergency clinic immediately.
- Marijuana poisoning incidents spike in Washington statewww.foxnews.com
- Marijuana For Pets: Benefits and Risks - Leaf Sciencewww.leafscience.comAugust 28, 2017
- Using Hemp CBD Oil To Treat Our Dogsministryofhemp.comDecember 6, 2016
- British woman did NOT die from marijuana poisoning | Toke of the Townwww.tokeofthetown.comJanuary 30, 2014