What to Do If Your Dog Eats Marijuana
With cannabis now becoming legal in more regions, you may no longer need to keep your stash hidden from the police, but it is crucial that you keep it away from your pets, especially dogs.
Most dogs are curious. They explore their world with their mouths. Case in point is Bella, an adult Labrador retriever. Her owner, who lives in Millburn, New Jersey, where medical marijuana is legal, left half of a joint on a coffee table.
“I had no idea she'd eat it,” Bella's owner, Marilyn Sanders, told Marijuana.com. “She's a large dog. Within a few minutes, her gait got sloppy. I watched her to make sure she'd be OK. Fortunately, it was such a tiny amount for a large dog. She was fine in a couple of hours.”
Other dogs aren't so lucky. While most cases are mild, with more potent cannabis products available, some reactions can be severe. A 2012 study from Colorado reported two cases of dogs dying after consuming medical-grade THC butter in baked goods.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals' (ASPCA) Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) has seen a significant increase in the number of calls about pets and marijuana.“Dogs are certainly the most likely pets to get into marijuana, but we've also received calls about cats, birds, ferrets, and rabbits,” said Grace Munns, coordinator of media and communications for the ASPCA.A drunken gait, lethargy, and urinary incontinence About 25 percent of dogs will overreact to stimuli and be disoriented. Dilated pupils and tremors THC concentrates can cause dogs to become comatose.